Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Future Classroom

MONDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2014


For years I have been imaging what my future classroom would be like. I think it is important to think about what the classroom physically looks like but more so how it FEELS. We will start with how it looks though. I can picture a classroom that is very home-like. I can see bean bags in the corners for reading. If my students feel like going by themselves to get work done then they can go to  those sections of the classroom. The desks will be arranged in groups. I have always been a huge supporter of grouped sections in classrooms. I have always been shy the first few weeks of school, however when you are in a group it almost forces you to make friends with those people or atleast communicate with them. This is how a classroom because a family, when people communicate and laugh with one another. I want to have a lot of posters in my classrooms and flowers. I am used to being in classrooms in high school where the walls are blank and there is no decoration. My classroom is going to have a personality because I truly think that influences a better vibe to the students. I am also a huge supporter of current events. Even though I am going into English, I would love to lead a current event class. To start, in my classes I am going to have a board with newspaper clippings or internet articles about different events around the world. 

Most important is how the classroom feels. I want an environment where people feel welcomed and loved. They can feel comfortable speaking in front of the classroom and feel as if they are not being judged. I want us to laugh and have a good time in class but while being productive. Most of all, I want my students to see me as a mentor and an example.

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea of grouping kids together. So often do I focus on a discussion-orientated classroom, that my mind automatically moves to a "U" shaped classroom. However, from this point on I will have to think of small groups! It gives kids a good opportunity to get to work together in a more realistic setting as opposed to possibly being silenced out by an entire classroom discussion. I think you have a great vision set out in front of you and I am interested to see how your classroom will turn out down the line! :)

    P.S: I adore the beanbag idea. I also have something akin to that planned for my English class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be in the class you just described! you did a very good job of going into detail. I couldn't agree more about how i would like to teach in a nice warm environment rather then one with nothing but white walls without posters. It is very important for a teacher to establish a warm environment for their class and i think you know exactly how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of grouping students together is one I had somewhat written off, at least in a secondary education setting. As I too am going into English I envisioned a circular arrangement to the class so everybody can be seen by everyone else and we're all on a level playing field. I will now have to give serious thought to implementing a group arrangement, even if only for part of a year, say the first half for instance. Classrooms need to feel like a human spends most of their time there, seeing as we do. The walls certainly should not be blank, and may not even necessarily have to be filled with subject related matter either. I think the current events idea is brilliant. It functions very well as a way for students to get involved in trying to understand and comprehend the world around them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I somehow managed to skim right over your piece about current events. In my observation class, which happens to be seventh grade social studies, my teacher has a ten minute segment of "CNN Student News", that gives great highlights for kids. It being CNN means that there is little to no bias. Of course, you would have to consider a classroom composed of older kids, as I'm not entirely sure elementary school students would understand some of the language presented within the short clip. :)

    ReplyDelete